Touching the World September 5, 2017
Many who are new to Good Samaritan Ministries ask how they can be involved in supporting our International work. To this, we are happy to introduce the work of Satellites. But, what are Satellite Groups? The following excerpt comes from Bettie Mitchell’s book From the Bush to the Roots:
Maintaining relationship and support for ministry in 23 nations is a great challenge. In 1994, GSM Founder, Bettie Mitchell cried out to the Lord, asking how to provide the support and encouragement that each nation deserved. Each national director needed enough income in order to give their lives and their families to the movement of the work and the training of the people. Each nation needed people who would believe in the work, travel to the country, help with funding, and to be consciously and deliberately involved in the development of the work and in the maintaining of new relationships.
Out of her prayer came the idea of developing individual “satellite” groups to support each nation. The satellite represents our prayers, intercession, and our many works being lifted up to God in heaven, and then being beamed down on the country that is being served. Today, individuals join a specific satellite to help raise funds, promote the work of that nation, offer up prayers, correspond with people within the country, and possibly travel to the nation to offer support and encouragement. Satellite leaders help track the work of each nation and report back to the International Headquarters in Beaverton.
So what Satellites could you join? There are so many!
- ASTA (Drug & Alcohol Ministry in Palestine)
- Goma Congo
- Al-Karma TV (Ministry Partner, a radio station for the Arab countries)
- International Education (A group that supports thousands of school children in GSM Countries)
- MicroCredit Empowerment Group – Starting micro agriculture and entrepreneurial projects for self-sustainment)
- Rose of Jerusalem (a group home for disabled children in Israel)
- Sierra Leone
- Sri Lanka
- Widows & Orphans Group (raising money and support for the needs of widows and orphans in each country)
Have you thought of joining a Satellite Group? To learn more, contact Cindy Womack – International Assistant Executive Director at Cindy@gsmusa.org.0